Zoe Ball’s video guide to ‘Saving A&E For Saving Lives’ was a central part of the two-year ‘Great Choices Make Heroes’ earned media and community engagement campaign created and rolled out by Martha for NHS Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group.
Filmed in Brighton, the video content was created to support:
- Earned media coverage
- New microsite with a real-time search facility for finding services open and available outside of hospital
- Specially commissioned primary school assembly programme
- Promotion in on the high street, in taxis and GP surgeries
The film shows Zoe walking through Brighton, telling viewers that 1 in 3 visits to A&E in the city are for problems that could be dealt with outside of hospital, with a call to action to be a ‘hero’ by saving A&E for saving lives by choosing the right NHS service at the right time.
Local people featured in the superhero-themed campaign posters, leaflets and postcards. Designed to appeal to students and clubbers, commuters, parents of young children and carers of people with long-term conditions, the promotional materials were distributed via universities, pubs and clubs, community groups and charities in the city.
- Zoe’s film featured in all ITV news regions across England on launch day
6 months’ regional TV, radio, print and online coverage with audience reach of 14.5m
- Video helped ‘explain not blame’ during national A&E crisis and turn ‘Brighton hospital worst in Sussex’ headlines into supportive coverage
- Film played to 300,000 Xmas shoppers on the high street
- 10k earned visitors to microsite in first weeks of campaign
- Shortlisted for HSJ’s Value & Improvement in Communication Award
Attendance at Brighton’s walk-in centre increased by 10-15% during the weeks ITV and BBC news featured Zoe Ball in TV reports; six weeks after launch, calls made to NHS 111 by people registered with a GP in Brighton & Hove reached the highest monthly total recorded that year.
"Thrilled with the news coverage generated! Would be great to all work on a project together again."
Zoe Ball's agent